Sunday, December 28, 2008

New Year Blues

The year is about to end in a few days. And for some reason, I'm not really looking forward to it.

I don't hate New Year, but it's not one of my favorite holidays either. It wasn't like this when I was a kid. Being a war fanatic back then (yes, I was a weird kid), I enjoyed seeing and hearing all those fireworks. The only thing that made me sad about New Year back then was that it's time to count the days before classes start.

But for the past few years, the New Year has been giving me the blues. Apart from the end of the Yuletide season (meaning, I have to go back to work), it seems like I hate the very thing that made New Year special back then. Fireworks bother me more now, with all the smoke, dust, and danger it poses. And there's the danger of misguided bullets from irresponsible gun owners.

Yes, that last one isn't funny. I should know, back in 2002 one such bullet entered my room and ricocheted off my wooden floor. Ever since that incident, I always stay downstairs on New Year's eve.

Another thing about the New Year is that for the past two years, my car overheats on New Year's day (not this year, please). Why is this so? I have no idea. Coincidence? Maybe.

I just hope that this year, New Year's eve and New Year's day would be different. That I would be able to enjoy it as much as I did when I was younger. Happy holidays everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment