Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Goodbye G5

Thanks for the memories.

My G5 on its fifth year of service. Read more here.

I called up Canon this morning to follow up on my 400D, and get a quote for my G5's repair as well. Turns out the cost is no longer practical, just add a few more and I could already get a decent point and shoot. So after almost six years of taking pictures, it's about time to retire my Canon Powershot G5.


I still blame myself for leaving it in my check-in luggage during our US trip, which caused a dent and damaged the LCD. But it turns out the camera's optics are also in need of replacement, so I guess this is really inevitable.

And maybe it's time to upgrade as well. The new G11 is smaller, has a bigger LCD, and has cleaner images at higher ISO (I can't go past ISO 100 on my G5). And from our recent trips this year, I realized that having a small camera can really be handy.

I remember when I bought my G5, I wanted this camera not only because I wanted to learn the basics, but because I wanted a tool that will last me five years. And it did. Even when I had my 400D, I would still use the G5 very often.

My Flickr G5 gallery is full of memories captured by this little beast. And for that, I will always be thankful to my G5 for documenting a part of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment