Monday, March 22, 2010

My Uncle's Speedlights

Update: Made it work already. Thanks to Raphy for the WD-40 tip.


The picture above are two Nikon Speedlight SB-28s from my uncle Rikki. The one on the left is his personal flash, the one that he uses with his Nikon F90. The one on the right was given to him by my Uncle Arthur. It came from East Timor (or Cambodia, can't recall) during my Uncle Arthur's peace keeping mission there, along with some Nikkor lenses and some damaged Leica stuff (ouch).


SB-28s and my 430 EX II, for comparison.

I tested both yesterday, only to find out that the one from my Uncle Arthur isn't working. Well, maybe it's because of the battery contacts, it was corroded and I used some Wipe Out to clean it, which could have made it worse. I'll try to buy some WD-40 or some proper cleaning solvent and try it again. My Uncle Rikki's unit works though, it's even compatible with my cheap China triggers.

If I'm lucky, I hope my uncle would give me one or both of them for a good price, or for some IT services. I'll use them to learn more about lighting.

Useless trivia: Canon calls them Speedlites, while Nikon calls them Speedlights.

No comments:

Post a Comment