Monday, May 18, 2009

First MacBook Glitch: AirPort Card Not Installed

Okay, it's time for me to post something useful. So here's a little public service to my fellow Mac users.

Just this weekend I have encountered this bug, my first major bug, in my barely one month old MacBook. I turned on my MacBook last Saturday only to find out that I'm not connected to our WiFi. The AirPort icon was also missing from the menu bar. I tried turning it on (under System Preferences - Network - AirPort), but clicking the Turn AirPort On button does nothing. Restarting also did nothing. Eventually AirPort came back on when I did a PRAM reset (more on that later).

It happened again yesterday, and again I was able to restore it by doing a PRAM reset. I tried turning it on and off several times and AirPort was working fine. I was also able to discover how to make the AirPort icon show up (under System Preferences - Network - AirPort, enable Show AirPort status in menu bar).

Just now, it happened again. Oh boy, it's making me paranoid. This time the AirPort icon is showing, but it's not picking up any signal. I clicked on it, and it said No AirPort Card Installed. I googled this, and this time I tried to repair my permissions (again, more on that in a while). And my WiFi is up again (for now at least).

I don't know if this problem is common, I can't seem to find a concrete answer to this problem. So now I'm on observation mode, trying to see if I need to send my unit to an authorized service center (it's a shame we don't have Apple Genius Bars here in the Philippines).

In case you're like me experiencing this problem, here are some things you can do before sending your unit for repairs or replacement:

- Do a PRAM reset. Upon pressing the power button, immediately press the following keys simultaneously: Command, Option, P, R.

- Repair permissions. You can do this using Disk Utility.

- If you own a 15 inch MacBook Pro, you can try reinstalling the battery.

- Update your OS to 10.5.7. I haven't done this yet since I'm still looking for an external hard drive for Time Machine backup.

- Use Google (it's there for a reason), or consult forums like PhilMUG, Mac Forums, Apple Support Discussion, and other Apple related forums.

There you go. If all else fails, then off we go to the nearest service center. I am hoping that this problem wouldn't occur again. And it is always best to note that no machine is perfect, not even Macs. But it shouldn't hinder us from enjoying a full Apple experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment