Monday, January 5, 2009

Kingston Blues


After a year of use, my Kingston 2GB thumb drive has died. It's the first time a flash based memory module has gone kaput on me. It's unfortunate (and probably dumb on my part) that I tore the receipt apart just this morning as I was cleaning my office pedestal. Talk about plain stupidity and bad timing. Although I'm not so sure if it's still covered by warranty, it would have been nice if I decided to keep the receipt a little longer.

It's not actually just about the flash drive, thankfully they're a lot cheaper these days. It's actually about the contents of the drive (I have to check my backup in the office tomorrow), and the reliability of Kingston products in general. Apart from the flash drive, I also use two 2GB compact flash (CF) cards of the same brand for my DSLR. And during long trips, I don't bring a laptop or any portable storage device. Makes me think twice if I should invest in one (or at least, an ultra compact laptop).

I do hope that this is an isolated case. I still plan to buy Kingston memory memory modules for my laptop soon,(I need the extra RAM), and will continue using my Kingston CF cards (cross fingers).

No comments:

Post a Comment