Saturday, August 30, 2008

Thank You Eraserheads


Even though the reunion concert was
cut short, I still can't thank these guys enough for giving us a really wonderful show last night. All our prayers go out to the speedy recovery of their frontman, Ely Buendia.

Before everything else, I just have to say this. The Eraserheads is probably the most influential band of my generation. Their songs were like the soundtrack of my highschool life. It's like I can attach a certain feeling or recall a certain event with their songs. They're the reason why I tried to learn the guitar and aspired to become a rockstar. Yesterday's reunion concert, in my opinion, was far better than any Ateneo - La Salle game or any international act coming to Manila.

With that said, we really had a fun yesterday. Mac and Tim met with me here at the house, and before leaving we took pictures of the tickets and I had a hard time deciding if I should bring my camera (which I did anyway). We fetched Burn at Ayala Center, then proceeded to The Fort. We arrived at around five in the afternoon, and fans were starting to occupy the field.

After a really heavy dinner, we bought bottles of mineral water, got our cameras, and proceeded to the venue. Unfortunately, big cameras (like my SLR) and water bottles were not allowed inside. Belts were also prohibited, which was a big problem for Mac and Burn. So after complying to the said rules, we were able to enter the venue, waited for another hour, and the countdown to the concert started. That was probably the longest ten minutes of my life.

And then the concert started. They sang fifteen of their hits for the first set, and it was said that more songs were to be played in the next set, including some of their all time favorites. But thirty minutes after the first set ended, it was announced that everything had to be cut short, that lead singer Ely Buendia was rushed to the hospital due to fatigue. No jeers were shouted, instead everyone cheered for the band. And a silent prayer ended the event.

We were also exhausted after the concert. I almost lost my voice singing my favorite tunes. And with the multitude of fans that came, it was hard to leave The Fort early.

We hope that another reunion gig is in the works. Again, thank you Eraserheads.

More info on the Eraserheads

With A Smile video from yesterday's concert found on Youtube

No comments:

Post a Comment