Saturday, August 2, 2008

G5 Turns Five (And Other Stuff)

It was this day in 2003 that, after weeks of deliberation, I decided to buy my first "serious" camera. I remember coming from a meeting that day (coincidentally, it was also a Saturday, and La Salle also had a game that day), and afterwards I went to Hidalgo (camera mecca of the Philippines) for the first time, not really knowing what to expect. After a few moments of testing and chatting with Nicholson of Henry's Camera and Photo Supply (where I still buy most of my stuff), I went home with my new camera, a Canon Powershot G5.

This camera has taught me a lot about photography, it was my lone camera for 3 years before I finally bought a DSLR. It was with me in Baguio three times, in Ilocos, in the wilderness of Mount Banahaw, and even as far as Hong Kong. It has been to many events as well, including my first stint at sports photography (a badminton event).

Even with a
disintegrated grip, this camera still sees a lot of action to this day. I use it often for macro photography, since I still don't have a dedicated macro lens. And for night shots as well, since the vari-angle LCD is very useful in composing images. I also bring this camera to work often, and at times I let my friends borrow it.

If the time comes that I have to retire my G5, I might buy another camera from Canon's G series, or probably from its A series. But right now, I will keep on enjoying my G5.

Below is a mosaic of my
Flickr G5 set (courtesy of Big Huge Labs), plus the links to each of the photos shown. You may also check my Multiply photos page for more photos.


1.
Breakwater, 2. Manila Bay Sunset, 3. Subic Sunset, 4. Baguio Country Club at Night, 5. Hong Kong Skyline, 6. Spectators, 7. Having a Snack, 8. Duck, 9. Tambayan, 10. Spongebob and Mac, 11. Alone, 12. Chilling in Vigan, 13. Manila Bay at Night, 14. Line to Heaven, 15. Politics in Chess, 16. Politics in Chess, 17. Gashapon, 18. Paoay Church, 19. Panalangin, 20. Unwanted Visitor, 21. Room Temperature, 22. Ube, 23. MOA, 24. MOA, 25. MOA, 26. Makati at Night, 27. Mushrooms, 28. Mini Turtle, 29. Kung Fu Panda and Mini Panda, 30. Sweethearts

---

It's been raining like hell these past few days, and last Thursday was the worst, as floods in several parts of the Metro caused some major traffic. I was stranded in Buendia for almost an hour, which by any standards is not fun.

---

La Salle lost to the University of the East this afternoon, but more disturbing is that Simon Atkins was taken to the hospital when he fell to the floor and banged his head hard. My prayers go out to his speedy recovery.

1 comment:

  1. happy birthday G5! =) hay pare, im dreaming of having my first DSLR... I know its coming very soon (*excited!)

    ReplyDelete