Sunday, September 27, 2009

Another Story From Typhoon Ondoy

This weekend's calamity has turned me into a proactive blogger. Wait, did I use the term proactive correctly? Anyway, I realized that this blog is a powerful tool, I can share not only my stories, but those of others as well.

I've been watching the news since yesterday, seeing how grave the situation is for some parts of Metro Manila. Even celebrities are not spared from distress. But until you hear it from someone you know, that's when you realize how close to home the situation is.

My office mate Raphy lives in Marikina, in one of the subdivisions affected by intense floodwater. Water rose to the second level of their home, leaving mud and debris all over, and ruining most of their furniture. He hasn't slept since yesterday, he told me that at night he kept hearing some of their neighbors scream, crying for help. They don't have electricity, and their car was also submerged (not sure how much) in floodwater. He was also bitten by their dog and awaiting treatment. I guess the fact that he was able to talk to me on the phone is proof that he and his family are alright.

But the bright side of the story is that Raphy and his family tried their best to help their neighbors. They tried to rescue some of their neighbors trapped in their own home. He even applied first aid to one of his cousins who accidentally stepped on a fence (water was that high).

These stories give us hope, that after such a tragedy life must go on. Actually, I admire people who went to work today, to help with the continuity of life. To the people at gas stations and garages helping people like me; to taxi drivers and other PUV drivers who help us get home safely; to people in the malls, even though they're shorthanded, they still try their best to serve us; and to all those doing their part in helping: I admire these people. I myself still don't know how to do my part. I just hope in a way sharing this stories can make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment