Friday, October 2, 2009

Remembering Typhoon Milenyo

Power failure during Typhoon Milenyo, circa 2006. One of the first pictures to come from my 400D.

We haven't recovered yet from the onslaught of Typhoon Ondoy, and another one is about to hit us. Typhoon Pepeng is just around the corner, people have already started preparing (you should see the lines at the grocery this afternoon), and the whole nation tries to keep itself updated on what's going to happen next.

People kept comparing this coming typhoon, Pepeng, to super hurricanes like Katrina in the United States, and Milenyo three years ago. Come to think of it, it was exactly three years ago when Milenyo proved how devastating Mother Nature can be.

Ah yes, Typhoon Milenyo. I remember it was a Thursday, I was on my way to work when one of my office mates called me to tell me work had been called off. I couldn't believe it, it was the first time work was canceled because of a storm. How strong can it be?

Thankfully I got home early. It was surreal. You can hear the wind whistle its might. It didn't have much rain like Ondoy, but it certainly packed strong winds. By nine in the morning, power supply was cut off, we didn't have electricity until the next day.

But we were lucky. Other areas didn't have electricity for two weeks. I even had client calls postponed because their generator ran out of petrol.

And the damage was horrible. Metro Manila was like a war zone. Trees pulled out of their roots. Steel fences bent and destroyed. Some billboards along EDSA didn't escape its wrath. It was one of the worst storms I have ever experiences in my adult life.

And now another typhoon is coming. What a way to cap this stormy week of ours. I hope my next post is a positive one. And I hope everybody a safe weekend ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment