Saturday, September 26, 2009

Caught By Surprise (Typhoon Ondoy)

Okay, a little primer: I'm staying in Makati right now (across the Skyway actually, but that's another story), and I have my mom's new Honda City parked right outside. It usually doesn't flood in this area, well, until just now.

The flood was knee high, and much worse is that flood water entered my mom's new car. It took me a while to get the car to higher grounds. Actually, I had to brave the rain and floodwater to get to the car, and had to hire a few of the local guys to push my car to safety.

To say the least, this has been one bad Saturday. I had bad experiences with floods in the past, one of which I posted here. But this one takes the cake. I didn't have peace of mind the whole morning, worrying about my mom's car, and having quite an earful from my mom and dad. I know they love me, and I love them as well, I just feel guilty that I sort of let them down.

But after watching the news, I guess I'm not the only one suffering from bad luck today. Typhoon Ondoy caught everyone by surprise, even our own NDCC admitted they were not prepared for this. Many motorists are stranded all over Metro Manila, most of them advised to leave their vehicles and seek shelter. And some residents are forced out of their houses due to floodwater entering their homes. So I guess I'm still thankful that my experience is not as bad compared to some of my kababayan.

So my mom's car is now safely parked on an elevated area, and I have scooped most of the water inside. Hopefully if the rain clears tomorrow, I can have the innards of the car assessed and cleaned.

Oh, and to give you an idea on how high floodwater was (it already subsided), here are some videos I took using my phone.








No comments:

Post a Comment