Saturday, April 25, 2009

Posting From The Land Of The Free 2.0

At the Grand Canyon, such a sight to behold. This is one of those places that you should see in your lifetime. Again, thanks to my mom for this shot.

Okay, some photography stuff first.

First, Picasa is great. I heard this application first from my friend Gelsen, but what I didn't know is that it's great for viewing and minor processing of RAW files, even for netbooks. Now I'm able to view and backup my shots (including the RAW ones), although I'm still exploring this software. Hopefully I can post more pictures in the next coming days, and maybe, just maybe, I'll have a better tool at processing photos.

---

This second point is a little long, so be please be patient with this part (or just completely skip it).

I went to Fisherman's Wharf yesterday, and there are a lot of camera stores there, though not the known retailers. And in one of the stores, the guy started a sales talk, which ended with me buying a circular polarizer (CP). But I already have one of those.

Well, he kept pointing out that the Hoya UV filter in my 10-22 was causing me to lose light. And so is the polarizer that I'm using. This one, for some reason, acts like a polarizer but at the same time allows more light just like a regular UV. The brand is Digital Vision, and I can't find anything about it online. My only complaint is that it's thicker than my Hoya CP, which causes some vignetting (dark edges), but only when I go ultra wide. So far, this is the only CP that I can use at night. Pretty cool.

So what did I learn from all this?

- Camera stuff here ain't cheap (even though the "sale" sign is on display).

- Never flash/display your camera when browsing a camera store. Unless you're good at winning arguments or you really intend to buy something.

- I am never good at resisting a sales talk.

---

As of this time, we're waiting for our ride to Fremont, which is still part of the Bay Area. And I love San Francisco. There's so much to explore here. When I get my pictures processed I'll write more about this wonderful city.

No comments:

Post a Comment