Sunday, July 13, 2008

Nifty Fifty

I miss taking pictures, I mean, I miss going places and just shooting away. It's either bad weather, too much work, or just plain laziness (sometimes sleeping all day is just too much to resist). My plan for today was supposed to be a solo trip to Manila Zoo, my 400D was really screaming for action, it's been inside a makeshift drybox for weeks. But as luck would have it, it was raining since yesterday and my body was screaming for some sleep.

So to kill the itch, I grabbed my 400D from the drybox and bonded it with a familiar friend: the Nifty Fifty. It's actually an alias to the 50mm f1.8 lens (regardless of brand). It's cheap (around PHP4000.00), but performs well, especially in low light. Sometimes, I find its colors more vivid than my other more expensive lenses. Although not intended for macro work, it can still produce some nice closeup images.

It's actually one of my first lenses (the other being the kit lens), and for a time I extensively used this lens, until I invested in
my first professional lens. It's a really fun lens, and it really trains you to compose and zoom with your feet. And the wide opening can produce some really nice bokeh.


The faucet shot above inspired me to use this lens again. I was in the bathroom doing... maybe it's better not to go into detail on that one. Anyway, I was in the bathroom when I noticed this mundane faucet (which is actually leaking) and I had a mental picture. I decided to include the watch and the lens cap, just for fun.

Hopefully, I can go on a real photo adventure again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment