Monday, July 28, 2008

Impromptu Intramuros

Students touring the San Agustin Museum.

I had all these ideas, mostly creative metaphors, going through my head on what to write tonight, and now that I'm typing, they're all gone. Just like that. Anyway, I was lucky enough to have had the chance to return to the walled city today, not only to take pictures, but to accomplish several errands and learn a thing or two about Manila.

I had to go to the BIR today, because according to HR I have to transfer my credentials from my home RDO (here in Manila) to Pasig (where our office is located). So i took a leave today, had the car registration renewed in the morning, lunch with dad, and did that tax thing early in the afternoon. Since the BIR office in Manila is near Intramuros, it gave me the chance to do some unplanned adventure.

Oh how I love that universal sign!

I had a short stop at the Manila Cathedral, said a little prayer (along with some picture taking, of course) before heading towards the San Agustin Church and Museum. I wanted to visit this place for the longest time because of Father Blanco's Garden, but unfortunately, it's still closed to the public (some sort of construction ongoing). But it was still a blast, it was a chance for me to see some of the religious relics from the Spanish era, as well as traverse the creepy hallways of the museum. It was also my first time to see the tomb of Miguel Lopez de Legazpi, the founder of Manila. Most of the exhibit rooms are off-limits to cameras, and even though there's a big chance I can get away with taking stolen shots, I decided to respect the rules. Besides, a visit there is highly recommended. I got goosebumps touring the place.

A view of downtown Manila from Fort Santiago.

My last stop for the day was Fort Santiago, a Spanish fort where Jose Rizal spent his last days. before everything else, I just have to get this out: I really can't figure out how to shoot perfect skies. I tried using a circular polarizer, and I tried locking the exposure of the sky, plus some other tricks I've learned from photography forums, but most of my shots still had washed out skies. Again, thank you Photoshop for saving me.

Now back to the fort, as always it rained again, spoiling my visit. Why does it always rain whenever we plan to visit Intramuros? Luckily I was still able to shoot some photos, especially that of the view of downtown Manila. I guess, as always, another return trip is in order.

I really had fun this afternoon, even though it drizzled on me, add to the equation the weight of my gear. My regular weekend was, well, mundane, and this extra holiday was just what I needed.

Again, as always, you can view the full gallery here at my Multiply site. You can also read our first trip to Intramuros this year here.

1 comment:

  1. The feeling of goosebumps pricking the area that joins the nape and the hairline there, while strolling inside San Agustin Church, looking at those marble tiles with inscriptions of names of 18th century souls -- yeah that was creepy! A time-travel-to-18th-century experience guaranteed.

    ReplyDelete