Sunday, March 16, 2008

On Security Guards And Photography

I was backtracking one of the photography threads that I used to frequent when I stumbled upon this post. It reminded me of something similar that happened to me several weeks ago, and as usual my indolence prevented me from posting this sooner.

One Friday afternoon back in February I decided to head to the nearby Washington Sycip Park in Makati (I was on assignment there that day). I had with me my complete gear and was looking forward to take some snapshots. I saw a couple taking pictures with an SLR, so I stood by them and prepared my camera. And as I as clicking away, a security guard approached me, and told me that I needed a permit in order to take pictures. The couple beside me were spared because according to the guard, you can take pictures of people while in the park, but not pictures of the view or anything related.

The ducks above were my subject when the guard apprehended me. I'm not sure if photos of these ducks are a threat to national security, or if birds in the park have some sort of copyright, but I think the whole permit thing is absurd.

That was not the first time I encountered such "hospitality" from security guards. Other places include:

* the former Park Square 2 carpark
* Bonifacio High Street
* Barangay Ugong in Pasig

In my opinion, this is killing tourism in the Metro. And I think people
here and here would agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment