Wednesday, September 24, 2008

My First DSLR Turns Two


I'm thankful that I'm finally able to avail my birthday leave today. And while waiting for the big Ateneo - La Salle game this afternoon, I just realized that I'm not the only one who got older this month. My beloved Canon EOS 400D (also known as Rebel XTi in North America and Kiss Digital X in Japan) just turned two today, and just lost it's warranty. It's pictured above, paired with my Canon EF-S 10-22mm f
/3.5-4.5 USM, currently my favorite lens. This lens turns a year old this month (also losing it's warranty), but I'm too lazy to look for the receipt to know the exact date. Maybe in the future I'll write something separate about this lens, since I love it so much. For now, the focus is on my 400D.

Two years ago I was also on birthday leave, and all morning I was contemplating on which camera to buy. It was either this one or the Nikon D90. Looking at high ISO samples sealed the deal on this one (and owning a Canon Powershot G5 also helped). I quickly rushed to Henry's Camera and Photo Supply, and got the kit together with my nifty fifty (a nice and inexpensive lens).

Being my first DSLR, this camera opened a whole new world (photography wise) to me. I love my G5, but its limitations often frustrated me. The 400D allowed me to shoot concerts, weddings, portraits, and sports with ease. And with the acquisition of an ultra wide lens, landscapes were given a new light.

Bad sad to say, there is a grim chance that I have to let go of this camera, because of the urge to upgrade. This will all depend on how much I'm going to save in the next month or two. But in any way, I'm will always be thankful for the experience that my 400D gave me.

Again, thanks to Big Huge Labs, I've created a mosaic of my Flickr 400D set. Please check it out since I have more pictures there, as well as my Multiply photos page.


1. Perya, 2. Life is Like a Box of Chocolates..., 3. Starbucks Art, 4. Twilight, 5. Jett Pangan (The Dawn), 6. Christmas 2006, 7. Peacock, 8. Tree Snake, 9. Avilon Sunset, 10. Night Life, 11. Lover's Sunset, 12. Christ, 13. Feminine Side, 14. Eastwood, 15. Jazz, 16. Walk of Fame, 17. Most Blessed Sacrament Chapel, 18. He Died for Us, 19. Flamenco Mom, 20. American War Memorial, 21. Remembrance, 22. Peace!, 23. Kitty, 24. Moonlit, 25. Potter Mania, 26. Sudoku in the Morning, 27. Ballet (DLSU vs UP), 28. Pep Squad (DLSU vs UP), 29. Casio Shoots a 3 (DLSU vs UP), 30. Future Eagle (DLSU vs UP), 31. Nose Poke (DLSU vs UP), 32. Mimo, 33. Kawalan, 34. My First Wedding, 35. My First Wedding, 36. My First Wedding

No comments:

Post a Comment