Friday, September 12, 2008

Making A Difference

For the past two days, I was a part of the Service Leadership Workshop conducted by our office. In these two days I never expected that I would learn a lot of new things, like listening intently to others, knowing my own body, realizing the value of my past, and finding my vision and my true self. The last one struck me the most.

In one activity, we were asked to meditate, picture our inner selves and ask questions like "Who Am I?" or "What Is My Purpose?". We drew what we saw, and shared it to the group. I heard a lot of heartwarming stories over the past two days, but to respect the privacy of my peers I will just share my own experience. I drew an orb, a ball of light, as this was what I saw. It never answered the questions I asked, but instead it told me one thing: make a difference.

We were given thirty minutes to draw, but it took me less than a minute to illustrate an orb. But to my surprise, I used the remaining twenty nine minutes to reflect. How can I make a difference? What is stopping me from taking the first step?

All my life I have been a conformist. As much as I want to be noticed, I do my best to blend with the crowd, and never pictured myself as the one who stands out. Many times I have been presented opportunities to make this world a better place (even in a small way), but yet I always had doubts on why I should do this, on what people might say.

As I got home last night, another opportunity to make a difference came. As to what it is, I don't think I'm ready to disclose it, as much as I want to say yes, many factors overcome me as of late. This is not the first time for this opportunity to come, but in the past I have rejected any means to become a part of it. This time, I want to be in, and hopefully soon I will be able to tell you what this is, I just don't want to preempt anything.

All in all, this workshop really had a positive effect on me. If I can sustain this positive effect, I will find out soon. For now, in my small way, I will try to find out how I can make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment